Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE)
California Solar Energy System Restitution Program
The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) has received special, one-time funding from the Legislature for a Solar Energy System Restitution Program. This program is intended to provide up to $40,000 in restitution to homeowners who suffered an unpaid financial loss after contracting for the installation of a solar energy system. Restitution payments will only be available until appropriated funds are exhausted.
Claimants must meet specific criteria, and CSLB has exclusive authority to determine who is eligible for payment from the fund. To be eligible:
- You must have entered into a contract for the installation of a solar energy system on or after January 1, 2016
- Your home is a single-family residence, and the solar system was installed at that residence.
- The contract and/or the installed system showed evidence of poor workmanship, incomplete work, fraud, misrepresentation, work not completed for the agreed-upon price, or other violations of Contractors’ License Law.
- You suffered a financial injury or loss as a result of the contractor’s actions.
If any of the following situations apply, you are eligible for assistance and should submit a claim form as soon as possible.
Please note, if you have not already filed a complaint with the CSLB, you will need to do so as well. More information about filing a complaint can be found here:
- Learn How to File a Complaint – Click HERE
Public Counsel has created a guide to assist you in completing and submitting a CSLB contractor complaint:
The CSLB began reviewing claims on November 1, 2021. There are limited funds available, so act quickly if you plan to file a claim.