Small Business Legal Services


Our Publications


What You Need to Know About Small Claims Court

In the operation of your child care business, you may encounter problems which force you to go to court. These problems may range from a parent who is not paying you for child care services to a landlord that fails to make necessary repairs in the apartment you are renting.


Why You and Your Small Business Might Need Legal Assistance

Neglecting the legal health of a new or existing small business can seriously threaten the success of its operations, endanger its future, and may impact your livelihood. Public Counsel’s Community Development Project (CDP) provides free legal assistance with a variety of transactional issues to small businesses and low-income entrepreneurs located in, and employing residents of, underserved communities in L.A. County.


Why Your Nonprofit Might Need Legal Assistance

This document lists some reasons why your nonprofit might need legal assistance and some examples of the types of legal assistance provided by Public Counsel’s Community Development Project.


Work Authorization FAQ for Employers

A heightened focus on immigration issues under the new administration has raised a number of questions for employers. Our new publication addresses some of the most common questions we are receiving in the area of employee hiring and Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9) compliance.

FAQs, Guide

Work For Hire Basics for Nonprofits [2016]

This guide provides nonprofits with an overview of the Work for Hire doctrine, which governs whether an organization that commissions work to be done or whether the person who created the work (e.g. an employee or independent contractor) owns the copyright in the work. It covers the following information: Copyright Basics, Works Made for Hire Overview, and Best Practices: Works for Hire.


Workers’ Compensation Insurance for Family Child Care Businesses

Workers’ Compensation is a set of laws which entitles employees to receive prompt, effective medical treatment for on-the-job injuries and prevents them from suing their employers over those injuries. As a child care provider, you are required by law to obtain workers’ compensation coverage for your employees.

Share via
Copy link