Women and Girls
The Women and Girls Rights Project provides free legal assistance to women and girls (including non-binary individuals and anyone identifying as female) for the following types of legal matters:
- Sexual harassment/sexual assault
- Pregnancy and parenting rights
- Unfair pay and scheduling practices
- Disability rights and accommodations
- Sick days and family leave
- Covid-related workplace issues
For information on your rights in the workplace, sign up to call our weekly Advice Line: Workplace Rights Advice Clinic CLICK HERE.
Equity and Opportunity in Education
- Gender discrimination at school or in higher education
- Sexual or gender-based harassment
- Campus sexual assault/ Title IX investigations and proceedings
- Rights of pregnant students, parents, and caregivers
- Employment rights and accommodations for survivors of domestic or sexual abuse
- Title IX protections and accommodations (for violence occurring on or off campus)
- Victim compensation
- Confidential address and name change (Safe at Home)
- Information and referrals
Note: Public Counsel does not assist with DV restraining orders or family law.
TO REQUEST HELP:
UPDATE: (February 16, 2022) Our services are at capacity and we need to temporarily close our intake line. We will resume services for new clients in the coming weeks.
Complete this online application:
Or call Public Counsel at CLOSED and leave a message.
- Your message should include the following information:
- Contact information
- Who referred you
- Your school or employer (if applicable)
- Legal issue/type of legal services required
–> Someone from our project will respond within 1-3 days.
Emergency Hotline/Crisis services: If you are a victim of domestic or sexual abuse and require immediate support services such as crisis counseling, temporary restraining order, or emergency shelter, please call the hotline at Peace Over Violence (213-626-3393) or East Los Angeles Women’s Center (800-585-6231) for confidential assistance in English and Spanish. For emergency services in AAPI languages, contact the Center for Pacific Asian Family at 1-800-339-3940. Available 24/7.