Women and Girls
The Women and Girls Rights Project provides free legal assistance to women and girls (including non-binary individuals and anyone identifying as female) for the following types of legal matters:
- Sexual harassment/sexual assault
- Pregnancy and parenting rights
- Unfair pay and scheduling practices
- Disability rights and accommodations
- Sick days and family leave
- Covid-related workplace issues
For information on your rights in the workplace, sign up to call our weekly Advice Line: Workplace Rights Advice Clinic CLICK HERE.
Equity and Opportunity in Education
- Gender discrimination at school or in higher education
- Sexual or gender-based harassment
- Campus sexual assault/ Title IX investigations and proceedings
- Rights of pregnant students, parents, and caregivers
- Employment rights and accommodations for survivors of domestic or sexual abuse
- Title IX protections and accommodations (for violence occurring on or off campus)
- Victim compensation
- Confidential address and name change (Safe at Home)
- Information and referrals
Note: Public Counsel does not assist with DV restraining orders or family law.
TO REQUEST HELP:
Complete this online application:
Emergency Hotline/Crisis services: If you are a victim of domestic or sexual abuse and require immediate support services such as crisis counseling, temporary restraining order, or emergency shelter, please call the hotline at Peace Over Violence (213-626-3393) or East Los Angeles Women’s Center (800-585-6231) for confidential assistance in English and Spanish. For emergency services in AAPI languages, contact the Center for Pacific Asian Family at 1-800-339-3940. Available 24/7.